Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Happy Valley Penn State!

 Welcome to Happy Valley!!
Thanks Westminster students for checking in again. My third journey across the country takes me to Penn State University, home of the Nittany Lions. I am ready to share my first ever Big 10 football experience with you....so buckle up and come along for the ride with me to Happy Valley.

This is the famous slogan that this proud university promotes. "We Are...Penn State" can be heard all through the streets of Happy Valley.

This week, my daughter Courtney and I made the trip together to Penn State. We flew to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania then drove 85 miles to Happy Valley. I must admit that it just might be the prettiest stretch of road that I have ever driven - absolutely gorgeous setting. The mountains and the beautiful fall colors really made you appreciate God's work.

This is Happy Valley. The large mountain ahead is Mount Nittany. The campus sits in the valley and it makes for a post card setting. I can see why thousands of students want to go to college here - spectacular views.

We visited the Penn State Sports Museum and were impressed by all the trophies, banners, national champions, and individual accomplishments by Penn State athletes.


Courtney gives a big "thumbs up" in viewing the Heisman Trophy won by Penn State running back John Cappelletti back in 1973. I remember when Cappelletti played for Penn State. He was a tough runner that ran the ball with power and determination. He was hard to tackle. Cappelletti's Heisman acceptance speech, where he dedicated his award to his dying brother Joey, is one of the most memorable in college football history. 


This statue is of Coach Joe Paterno, the all time winningest college football coach! He represents college football at its finest. He is admired by everyone for what he has done for college football and student athletes. He has graced the Penn State sidelines for 56 years that's right...56 years...can you imagine! The Penn State fans absolutely love him. Hey boy's and girl's, it's what college football is all about. That's why I wanted to come to Penn State...to see Coach Paterno.


The second largest stadium in college football. I was inside this stadium with 109,000 of my closest friends. A monster of a stadium - loved it!!


When 109,000 people decide to cheer as loud as they can...only you can imagine!


Well, before I take you to the game photos...Courtney and I decided to explore the area before the big game. You are now on the campus of Penn State. Beautiful campus nestled around lots of trees and mountains.




Our favorite stop was in Hershey, Pennsylvania at Chocolate World! As we got out of our car, we could immediately smell the sugar! We took the tour, ate some chocolate, ate more chocolate, and enjoyed watching how candy is made. We got out of there real fast because we were starting to eat tooooo much chocolate!!

OK...Back to the action. It's game night in Happy Valley. The excitement is starting to build for the big game against Michigan - a fierce rival. It feels like football weather as the temps are dropping into the 30's. A beautiful night for football.

Alright Westminster students, I hesitated to put this photo into my blog. First of all, I think that these are very cool football helmets. They are great looking and represent the University of Michigan. My close friend and teaching/coaching colleague, Andy Dunn is a huge Ohio State fan. Well, long story short, Ohio State and Michigan fans don't like each other too much, especially when it comes to football. So Coach Dunn...how do you like this photo???  



Courtney and I had great seats for the game. We sat on the 5th row in the end zone! We could hear the players talking, the shoulder pads popping, and the grunting and growling that goes on during each play.


The Penn State mascot "Lion" leads the cheers just before kick off.


The marching band plays.....


....Penn State takes the field as the crown goes wild! They love their team and cheer all the time for the Nittany Lions. Remember, there are 109,000 people cheering as loud as they can...you could feel the stadium shake...it was thunderous.


Heisman hopeful, Dante Robinson, one of the most exciting players in college football, gets ready to make a play against a tough Penn State defense. Penn State played a great game and won by a score of 41 - 31. Lots of action on the field all night long. Coach Paterno won his 399th career win on this special evening.


Thank you Happy Valley and Penn State University for providing a wonderful experience. I loved everything about the journey to Happy Valley. You made a dream come true and fulfilled my curosity of, "what's it like in Happy Valley." You did not disappoint. I will remember this trip for the rest of my life because I got to experience it with my loving daughter Courtney. We had a blast and I will cherish every minute of it. Thank you Courtney for going along for the ride - you made my trip special.
Thank you Westminster syudents for checking in. I love being your teacher and love sharing my experience with you. Play hard and I will see you soon in PE.
Next stop....Tiger Stadium, "Death Valley" Baton Rouge, Louisiana to see the Fighting Tigers of LSU play The Alabama Crimson Tide. This is my most anticipated trip of all...I can't wait...see you next week...until then...keep your eye on the ball....
- Coach McGuire

No comments:

Post a Comment